03 September 2010

Luxuries

A thought hit me the other day as I was getting a drink of water from the sink:

"How many people can't get clean water to drink when they want it?"

I've been thinking about that ever since - along with things like "I wonder how many people have no food right now as I order this pizza at Carraba's," and "It's hot outside - glad we have air conditioning. I wonder what it's like to never have air conditioning."


It just seems that there are quite a few things which I take for granted as being typical and expected, which are really luxuries for most of the world that the U.S. has been able to turn into daily staples. It's just weird thinking about it that way. I say - I use my camera and my tools to make a living, and for most of the world, I have an easy job that is beyond a person's wildest dreams. Getting paid to take photographs or work on airplanes? Reasonable hours and good wages? I am not working in a sweatshop, or a brothel, or begging on the street. I eat and drink good food and clean water whenever I personally feel hungry or thirsty. I worry about going up a waist size in my pants, because then I'll have to buy new clothes.

I've been praying that God will give me compassion for people and it's starting to happen.